Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Photography Copyright Abuse What to do























The picture above was recently stolen in violation of my copyright.



I have posted an article on finding and what to do when you find that your images have been infringed upon. See the article on how to find your stolen images. Feel free to use this letter as a form to report your own copyright infringements.

In this post I will show you how I actively pursue copyright infringements. Yesterday, I sent out three letters to three different photo sites.

Here is a recently letter to photobucket:

Robert Miller
Address and phone nunber

Hello,
I am by this message filing a formal complaint about a copyright violation.

This photo on your site and offered for sale through you is a violation of my copyright.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/sunset/Usernameyouenvy/sunset.jpg?o=37

I request that the photo be immediately removed.
The original photograph with my copyright can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lynchburgvirginia/128224894/

"I hereby state that I have a good faith belief that the disputed use of the copyrighted material is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law (e.g., as a fair use)."

* "I hereby state that the information in this Notice is accurate and, under penalty of perjury, that I am the owner, or authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of the copyright or of an exclusive right under the copyright that is allegedly infringed."

Since you have offered this photo for sale I request that all revenues be sent to my PayPal account

Continued display of my copyrighted image for sale on your site will be at a charge of 500 dollars per day starting October 7, 2009.

Electronically signed,
Robert B Miller Jr
Address and phone number.

Photobucket's response:
Dear zack12349@hotmail.com,

Thank you for your request. Photobucket removed the content located at the
following link(s):
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb211/Usernameyouenvy/sunset.jpg

which request was based on your stated belief that such content infringes
your copyrights. As you may be aware, Photobucket does not itself distribute,
store, or make available most of the content or files available through its
service. Rather, most all such files or content are put forth by individual
users, and Photobucket has limited control over the content its users may
choose to share. Nevertheless, Photobucket respects copyright laws and
expects its users to do the same.

Please be advised that Photobucket has removed the above-mentioned content
from its website.

Photobucket's response as set forth herein is a good-faith attempt to
courteously comply with your request at face value. It should not be taken as
an admission or acknowledgment, of any kind, and Photobucket expressly
reserves all rights at law or in equity.

Should you have any questions about this matter, please contact Photobucket's
Designated Copyright Agent:


Daniel J. Cooper
Designated Copyright Agent
Photobucket.com, Inc.
PO Box #13003
Denver, CO 80201
abuse@photobucket.com
Fax: 303.395.1165


Sincerely,

Your Photobucket Support Team

1 comment:

  1. Waaaa! I bet you just broke your back pushing the button in the camera too. If you don't want it stolen don't leave the keys in the car, or post the picture where it can be stolen!

    ReplyDelete